Kinship Connections provides support for Departmental carers who are looking after their kin. Being a family carer can be rewarding, challenging and full of love. And because every family is different, our Family Carer Support Services provides support that is tailored to the unique needs of you and your family.
The FCSS team works with carers across the Perth metro area to build on their existing skills and strengths in caring for children. Together, we will work with you to develop an individual plan that will support you to achieve your goals. Our team will help you access training, resources and community support networks, and learn new ways to support children in your care.
We believe that building relationships between the Carer and the Department is crucial to the successful placement of a child. As an outreach service, we are able to provide home visits and are available from Monday to Friday during business hours.
Examples of support options available include:
- Strengthening child and carer relationships.
- The importance of self care.
- Understanding the different stages of childhood development.
- The importance of setting boundaries and routines.
- Understanding safety within the home environment.
- Working through barriers preventing children from attending school and appointments.
- Improving communication with the Department of Communities.
- Access to relevant training and education.
- Referral and linking to other support services, such as housing programs, counselling, Centrelink, financial counselling and other carer support services.
Referrals for FCSS can only come from the Department of Communities. To be referred to FCSS, family carers must have children in their care. The service is for family carers who may need support to meet competencies or develop a new care arrangement. Please contact your child’s Case Worker for a referral to our service.